Ever wanted to read a comic but didn't know where to start? Interested in superheroes, manga, romance, webcomics and more? Look no further! We have all the recommendations you'll ever need.

Monday 31 December 2012

The Last Tape In Hell

Normally at New Readers... we review trade paperback editions of comics.  This works well with comics from the big publishers, but doesn't work so well for independent or self published comics. Back at the start of December I did a quick post about Thought Bubble 2012, a UK comics convention happening in Leeds.  A lot of  comics on sale at Thought Bubble are of the self published, single issue type, and I didn't want my readers to miss out on the fantastic stuff in the UK independent comics scene.  So, I will be spending a little while going over the very best of the ones that I bought.

These words will be culled from/inspired by short reviews I did on my other blog, Pai.  Depending on the sense of the original blog, they are likely to be edited to make more sense to new readers of comics.

Onwards...

The Last Tape in Hell

Writer and artist: Sarah Gordon

What's it about?
This is a short, glossy comic with few words but the most amazing colours.

It's set in Hell.  Satan is hard at work doing administrative, hellish type things.  His old cassette player is spewing out the sounds of hell (which turn out to be Dooom....Dooom...Dooom).  The cassette player suddenly breaks, and the tape becomes chewed up.


Anyone of my generation knows what this means - the black tape inside the cassette case becomes caught in the machine.  You pull the cassette out and the machine vomits out the precious tape.  You might be able to wind it back in but it is likely the music is lost forever,

So, Satan is understandably quite annoyed about this.  He then goes off on a search for The Last Tape In Hell.  It's not gory, or violent, or adult.  It's fun and lighthearted.  I can't tell you any more because I'll spoil it. 

What's good about it?
It's only 14 pages long but it's glorious.  Gordon's art is stunning.  She's far more inventive than the majority of 'professional' artists I see in Marvel's and DC's products.  Because there is next to no dialogue the art has to tell the story and it does this so effectively.  It will only take you 5 minutes to read it, but it's well worth it.

What's bad about it?
I have nothing to criticise.  It's short, concise and compelling. 

What's the art like?
Mood lines and a few thought bubbles tell the story where the poses and action can't, and Gordon uses clever framing devices for the panels.  The colours are amazing.  I would like to show you more than I have, but seeing as it's so short I don't want to spoil it.

More information
Price: £3 plus post and packing.
You can read more about the comic at Sarah Gordon's website here and buy it here.
Gordon is on twitter @ratherlemony and was involved with The Peckham House for Invalids that we reviewed in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment